Benefits of ISO 14001-2004 Certification:
The ISO 14001-2004 certification involves expenditure during the implementation phase. But there are acknowledged benefits which arise from the value added when the purchaser and legislator have a higher degree of assurance that the organization’s activities meet the requirement of standards. The compliance with ISO 14001 will, increasingly carry a competitive advantage for organization that sell goods or services on the global market. The customer involved in international transaction, insures ,etc., are increasingly demanding EMS certification , as proof of the organization environmental credentials , in terms of continual improvement in environmental issues.
Customers, consumers and shareholders are increasingly concerned over the environmental impact of the activities, products and services they consume. They expect companies to comply with environmental standards and demonstrate their commitment to reducing their environmental impacts in daily operations. That may be a challenge, but it is also an opportunity for you to demonstrate your environmental responsibility, stand out from the competition and show existing and potential customers the proof of your commitment.
The legislators and regulatory bodies assess the value of certification in reducing their involvement in monitoring certain industries. It is fair to assume that , if an organization has an EMS that is subject to a recognized accredited certification , its legal liabilities should be less than an organization that has no recognized EMS in place. The regularity authorities should thus have more confidence that this organization will continue to maintain legal compliance and in the event of breach of legislation will take appropriate and timely action.
Benefits from Environmental Management System-ISO 14001:2004
- Raw material savings from complete processing, substitution, recycling of product inputs
- Increase in process yields and by product utilization
- Reduced energy consumption
- Less downtime due to careful monitoring of process
- Commercial viability to waste conversion
- Reduceds cost to material storage , handling and packaging
- Reduced cost associated with emission , discharges, waste handling , transport and disposal
- Improved consistency in product quality ,resulting from process changes
- Safer workplace and safer products to customer
- Higher product re-sale and scrap value
- Manages environmental aspects effectively
- Improved compliance with environmental legislation
- Prevention of pollution
- Minimizes energy and resource usage reducing operating costs
- Continual improvement in environmental performance
- Reduces the risk of penalties and avoids litigation